Orbeez are rounded, colorful beads that have become a popular toy and sensory play item for people of all ages. But have you ever wondered if you can eat them? The answer is no, but there are a few things to remember before swallowing these beads. Orbeez are made of a water-absorbent polymer, which means they can expand to 100 times their original size underwater.

can you eat orbeez water beads?

CHECK: Are Orbeez toxic for Humans & Animals (Dogs, Cats)

While they are non-toxic and safe for children to play with, they are not intended to be ingested and can cause choking or digestive issues if consumed in large quantities. The latest “Orbeez Challenge” trend on social media may tempt you to try it out, but remember that these beads are only meant for play.

What Happens When You Eat Them?

Orbeez, also known as water beads, have become popular with children and adults. They come in different colors and sizes and are often used for sensory play, decorations, and even as a calming activity. But have you ever wondered what would happen if you accidentally ingested an Orbee?

After eating orbeez

CHECK: What are orbeez made of?

How Orbeez Disposal Works?

orbeez coming out of stomach

Orbeez are made of a type of polymer called sodium polyacrylate. This polymer absorbs water and expands to create the small, round shape of the Orbeez. The Orbeez will not be digested by the stomach or intestines, as they are not food items. Instead, they will pass through the digestive system and be eliminated in the feces.

Orbeez Consumption Risks

While Orbeez are not toxic or harmful to consume, it is not recommended to eat them. They can obstruct the digestive system, especially in children or those with swallowing difficulties. Additionally, ingesting large amounts of Orbeez can lead to dehydration, as the Orbeez absorb water from the body.

As a result, it is not recommended to eat Orbeez due to potential risks. You should use them as fun and entertaining toys – and leave the eating to food. You should keep Orbeez away from children under three years of age because they are not intended for consumption.

CHECK: Are Orbeez Biodegradable?

Is Orbeez healthy to eat?

Orbeez are becoming increasingly popular with both young and old as a sensory toy. Small beads expand when placed in water, making them a fun and tactile experience. But with their increasing popularity, some people have begun to wonder: are Orbeez safe to eat?

The short answer is no. Orbeez are not safe to consume; ingesting them can harm your health. Orbeez are made of a type of polymer, which is a type of plastic. These beads can cause digestive blockages when consumed, leading to serious health problems. In some cases, they may even require surgery to remove.

Furthermore, Orbeez are not considered a food product and are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). They have no nutritional value and are not safe to consume.

What are the health risks of eating Orbeez?

Orbeez, also known as jelly beads, are small, colorful beads that can be used for various decorative and sensory play activities.

While they may be fun to play with, it is important to be aware that accidentally ingesting these beads can cause health problems.

Symptoms to Look Out for

  • Intense abdominal pain
  • Symptoms of nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Having diarrhea

What to Do if You Accidentally Ingest Orbeez?

  • Immediately seek medical attention
  • Ensure that the beads are safely removed from the body before removing them

Prevention Measures

  • Pets and children should not have access to Orbeez
  • Keep an eye on young children while they play with Orbeez
  • When you are finished using Orbeez, dispose of them properly
  • Do not consume Orbeez under any circumstances.

If your kid eats Orbeez by accident, what should you do?

Dealing with Orbeez Ingestion in Children

Accidentally consuming Orbeez can be a cause of concern for parents. Still, it is important to know that these small beads are not poisonous and will eventually pass through the digestive system without causing harm.

Initial Steps:

  • Be calm
  • Flush out the Orbeez by giving your child a glass of water
  • Remove the Orbeez by gently massaging your child’s stomach in a clockwise direction

Medical Attention:

  • In case your child swallows too many Orbeez, seek medical attention
  • If your child’s discomfort persists after several hours

In most cases, Orbeez will cause no harm and eventually dissolve in the stomach without any problems. You should remain calm and take the necessary steps to alleviate discomfort.


In conclusion, Orbeez are not intended for consumption and should be kept away from children and pets. While they may be safe to play with, ingesting them can cause intestinal blockages and lead to health complications. If your child accidentally eats Orbeez, it is important to seek medical attention immediately and take the necessary steps to ensure the beads are safely removed from the body.

Be sure to supervise young children while they play with Orbeez and properly dispose of them when they are no longer needed. While Orbeez may be a fun toy, safety should always come first.

Two Children Hospitalized After Swallowing Popular ‘Water Bead’ Toy